Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My brother's wedding


My brother got married last week and I was so tempted to give a speech during his wedding ceremony – the most monumental milestones in his life. My intention was called off knowing that it was probably not the right place and audiences to deal with and here I ended up with, a blog post dedicated to my brother Lung. Writing this post made me feel sentimental and nostalgic especially since when we were younger, those days we grew up together and at some point of time my brother was my sworn enemy in the early age.

Being the eldest son in the family, we have taken sibling rivalry to some sort of level, and our fights would once get violent. I can vividly remember bashing his head on the glass cabinet door in one occasion, simply because he has broken pieces of my Lego sets which were deemed to be precious to me at that time. Ironically, he is now with Lego group and I am ordering Lego sets from him from time to time. I still feel guilty about this until now and I would very much like to apologise on this matter. If I were to give a speech during his wedding, I doubt I would burst into tear coming to this segment of speech.

Given our bloody past, it amazes me how great we get along as adult in the later years. We have managed to keep bickering to a minimum in the last decade or so. And even though I am sure we still get on each other’s nerves occasionally, we have learned to deal with conflicts in a mature manner rather than engage in potentially hurtful and damaging confrontation, we breathe, take a step back and do the sensible thing.
My dad exclassmate reunion party in 1998
Family trip back in 2010
Gathering in Gardens, Kuala Lumpur 2011
Chinese New Year in Sekinchan 2012
Family trip in Genting Highlands, 2013
Youngest brother birthday in Midvalley, Kuala Lumpur 2014
A quick catch up in Publika, 2015

Over time, my brother has grown to be a confidant. No one can truly understand our family’s craziness better than the two of us or three of us including the youngest brother, so we have to stick together in such a big family tree.

Needless to say, I was very happy for him when he found his wife, Gacky. It is nice to see the right person who can share life with him and more importantly, it is nice to see him happy. I know he will make a loving husband and a fantastic father because he has always been a great brother, son and friend to all of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

<3
Congrats to your brother and his wife :)