Thursday, November 11, 2010

Over hardworking-spoil the market

I have been working pretty hard for this whole week due to my approaching thesis submission deadline. Albeit all these hard works, if I were to compare with this guy, he outweighs me. He is exceptionally hardworking, engages himself weekdays, weekends, day and night.

Qimyi : So what about this guy in your lab?

Me : Oh, I am fine with him. I merely comment that he is superb hardworking, you know, working 7days a week, from day to night.

Qimyi : It could be the efficiency issue, some people need more time to work on little things, or perhaps mind was wandering around and not really attended to the work.

Me : No, this guy is fully focused! No msn, no skype, no facebook, no sms.

Qimyi : Wah, like that I got nothing to say. I can only tell, this people spoil the market.




Yes, it is the term “Spoil the market” that I have been looking for.

Three years ago, the process in securing this research scholarship as a First Class honor student was considerably smooth and so I maintained my easy pace till now. Then just a year ago, this guy came in with his Second Class Bachelor award, desperately committed to his research, working a way too hard. Comparison wise, I look lazy.

To some extent, I am not willing to let down my ego. To me, I am not being paid to work this hard and if I have to, then I must be award with more funds. I know what I want to achieve, I just want to finish off with a dissertation, a title and I will kick myself out of here.

Unfortunately, the truth is, I do not have this bargaining power. It is either I do it, become a valuable asset to this laboratory, or I become a liability.

Employer wise, I will definitely hire this people. Employee being, it is definitely a pain in the ass working along with such people when you want to lead an easy life.

Word to myself, if I think that I am not being paid to work hard, then by all means, do as I wish. But remember if you don’t do it, someone else might take over.

2 comments:

haan said...

"Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about."

Just do your best. Make no regret to your life. 岂能尽如人意,但求无愧我心。Work/study is just part of our life. There are a lot more things. You can choose to let it become our life or not.

Anonymous said...

Exactly like what I face too. This kind of people spoil the market.
Same like u, I know I should have work harder but I don't think it is necessary to work that hard like a dog.

What ever it is, achieve whatever you want, that's it. What others did has nothing to do with us. ^^