Thursday, July 08, 2010

Port Stephens Whale Cruise

It was one of the best day trips ever. I would love to put it so, but as palpable as the excitement was, it was more like self-indulgence between me and my mom, while my brothers suffered from nausea.



Months earlier, I was in touch with Lung about this excursion and we expected it to be an outstanding experience for everyone. I secured space on the luxurious vessel purposely built for ocean cruises, Moonshadow V.

The morning started out well enough with a hearty breakfast of scramble eggs with bacons and raison toast prepared by me. I would say, it was simple yet fabulous culinary experience. It was not about the food I prepared, but the family I prepared for!



Aboard ship, we immediately grabbed our seats on the observation deck. I was having this perpetual anticipation of the magnificent giants that will appear anytime.

Unfortunately, very soon, two of my brothers were haunted with seasick. Ship was bouncing up and down in the waves. I could hear the sound of the slapping water hitting all around the ship. Apparently they were match made in motion-sickness heaven. Nausea hit them like a ton of bricks and they puked over the side of the ship. I am regret I didn’t snap a photo of them at that point of time to commemorate such repugnant scene in the middle of Tasman Sea.

After puking yet again, they just couldn’t take this rocking vessel and zonk out on the floor.



It was then the humpback whale appeared. Me and my mom were the witnesses to the greatest mammals on earth. We were lucky enough to find a juvenile humpback flipper slapping and breaching. It was indeed breathtaking to witness the constant appearance of the whales spyhop out of the sea.





Cruises are truly superb at bringing together a whole group of travellers, especially family members even though I have two being paralysed in the entire trip. If you have the opportunity to plan a family vacation, make sure that you strongly consider a cruise, so that you too can have The Best Day Trip Ever!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been there for day trip as well...same suffering as your brothers...and I swared that I would never go there again...because I did NOT see the whale after the horrible seasick...

btw, I was feeling well even when I was on cruise at Cairns...Great Berry Reef is awesome!

Unknown said...

I cant go up to the mountain or down to the sea...I will surely feel uncomfortable afterwards....
And why there is no "like" button for me to click as in Facebook?

YEN said...

It was fun reading this post :)